Emergency Management Assistance Compact
|The Emergency Management Assistance Compact (EMAC) is the association of emergency management and homeland security professionals dedicated to enhancing public safety by improving the nation's ability to prepare for, respond to, and recover from all emergencies, disasters and threats to the nation's security.
Any member state may request EMAC assistance when the Governor of the affected state has declared a state of emergency for an actual or impending disaster. When a state suffers, or expects to suffer, from a major disaster or emergency and needs assistance from other states, the requesting state will begin the EMAC procedure for requesting assistance.
EMAC offers the following benefits:
- EMAC assistance may be more readily available than other resources.
- EMAC allows for a quick response to disasters using the unique human resources and expertise possessed by member states.
- EMAC offers state-to-state assistance during Governor declared state of emergencies: EMAC offers a responsive and straightforward system for states to send personnel and equipment to help disaster relief efforts in other states. When resources are overwhelmed, EMAC helps to fill the shortfalls.
- EMAC establishes a firm legal foundation: Once the conditions for providing assistance to a requesting state have been set, the terms constitute a legally binding contractual agreement that make affected states responsible for reimbursement. Responding states can rest assured that sending aid will not be a financial or legal burden and personnel sent are protected under workers compensation and liability provisions. The EMAC legislation solves the problems of liability and responsibilities of cost and allows for credentials to be honored across state lines.
- EMAC provides fast and flexible assistance: EMAC allows states to ask for whatever assistance they need for any type of emergency, from earthquakes to acts of terrorism. EMAC's simple procedures help states dispense with bureaucratic wrangling.
- EMAC can move resources other compacts can't - like medical resources.
Emergency Management Assistance Compact web site